Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

is a zoeller sump pump a good pump how long will it last im

Customer Question

is a zoeller sump pump a good pump how long will it last? im looking at the m57
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomerbr />You can't do better than Zoeller. There are Zoeller sumps pumps that I installed 25+ years ago and they are still running strong
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I WAS WORRIED BECAUSE I READ ON ONLINE THAT THE SWITCHES GO BAD BEFORE THE ACTUAL MOTOR DOES. SWICH GOES BAD WILL HAVE A FLOOD. SO HOW LONG WILL THE SWITCH PROBABLY LAST . IF IT IS NOT RAINING RUNS ONE TIME A DAY, IF IT IS RAINING IT RUNS MORE
Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.
A switch failure can occur on any brand. If you can't tolerate a pump failure then you should install 2 pumps with the second pump level set to come on if the promary fails. I have been installing Zoeller pumps for over 30 years. I have replaced 2 switches. I have replace many more pumps and/or switches of other brands in the same time frame.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i need to ask you one last question before I accept. I should have asked all at one time.

After the sump pump runs and clicks off are you suppose to hear water trinkling back down from the check valve to the sump pump. and if im standing on the sump pit itself should the check valve be around waist height

Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.
The water that is between the check valve and the pump will drain back into the pit. A check at waist high is a little high but it's no big deal. We typically install the check ~2' above the pump.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
do you mean 2 inches or 2 feet above the pump the check valve
Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.
2 feet above the pump. There must be some distance in the line between the check and the pump. 2 inches is too close.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
should the check valve be out of the sump pit lid or under the sump pump lid
Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.
It doesn't matter. If it's out of the pit it will be easier to get to.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so if the check valve is 1foot up from the outside lid is that ok its confusing because everybody says something different. some say put around bellybutton or waist height, some say 2 feet from the outside lid and you sat 2 feet from the pump itself. im confused
Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.
The botXXXXX XXXXXne is; it doesn't make any difference. Any of these locations is ok. It's really what is most convenient. There is no standard or required distance.