Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

the toilet makes a quick noise every minute or so. its hard

Customer Question

the toilet makes a quick noise every minute or so. its hard to describe the noise. we just had a plumber replace the valve area recently and he must have touched something else inside the tank. its annoying and i want to make sure its not wasting water also.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomerbr />Your plumber should come back and fix the problem free of charge. It is difficult to assess your problem based on your description but I suspect that the flapper in the bottom of your toilet tank is leaking by which drops the water level in the toilet tank enough to make the water come on to top off the water level in the tank. This would waste water.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

initially when we called him he told us to jiggle the handle and it would stop, but it hasn't. its been about 2 weeks since he "repaired it" is there anything we can do to possible fix it? if i took the tank cover off and watched, what am i looking for to see if its the flapper?

Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
Just watch and see if the water level drops. It may take a while or you could put food coloring into the tank after it is full and the water stops running. If you see food coloring in the bowl then your flapper is leaking. Changing the flapper is relatively easy just be sure to use the same type (take the old one with you to the home center or plumbing supply house) and only leave 1 or 2 links of slack in the chain when you put it in

graphic
The flapper is the rubber disk at the end of the chain sitting on the base of the flush valve in this picture
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience: Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i checked to see where the noise was coming from and its the float cup. it pops up slightly and some water trickles down from above, closer to the arm. should it be doing this? theres a screw on top of the arm. should i tighten it?
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
The noise is coming from the float cup because the water level is dropping enough to turn the fill valve on. You probably need to replace the flapper on the flush valve because that is where the water would leak out of the tank. Water should not be leaking from the top of the fill valve but it's not necessarily a problem. You could also replace the fill valve to be sure but it's probably not essential.