Patrick
Patrick, General Contractor
Experience:  30 years commercial construction and 23 years house remodeling projects
16029536

How can I remove a stripped screw from a faucet.

Customer Question

Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Patrick replied 5 years ago.
Is the head botched up or the threads?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The threads are stripped, the head is OK.

Expert:  Patrick replied 5 years ago.
Take a large needle or a very small flat blade screwdriver, like an eyeglass screwdriver, and attempt to push in at the side of the screw while trying to back the screw back out. The trick is to put in some upward pressure on the screw while turning it to back out. Good luck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I tried that and was unable to slide anything along side the screw head, because

there is no clearance there.

Expert:  Patrick replied 5 years ago.
Did you try a large needle? The idea is to put pressure to wedge the screw up as you try to back out. Also, try pulling up on the facet handle while backing out the screw.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The screw is located on the backside of the spigot and is slightly below flush.

That is why I can't get anything between the screw head and the spigot.

Expert:  Patrick replied 5 years ago.
Oh boy. Then you probably cannot drill the head and get a back out extractor into it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Drilling would be impossible because there is only about an inch between

the spigot and the backsplash. I guess the the only thing I can do is to

replace the entire faucet assembly. I want to thank you for taking the time

to try and help me. Have a nice weekend.

Expert:  Patrick replied 5 years ago.
Crazy last idea. If the screw head is dry can you put a dab of superglue on the phillips head screw and on the screwdriver to see if you can get some pull as you unscrew it. Do not get the glue on the faucet. Good luck. The glue would have to dry to get any pull.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The the only problem is that the screw has a shallow slot in the head, if it

was a phillips head screw I would try your idea, but I don't think it would work

with what I have to work with. The faucet is over 25 years old and should be

replaced anyway.

Expert:  Patrick replied 5 years ago.
Good idea.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX unable to help me with my problem so I called a plumber

and he will be here on tuesday to replace the entire faucet.

Expert:  Patrick replied 5 years ago.
Good deal.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

THE PLUMBER WAS HERE TODAY AND WAS UNABLE TO REMOVE THE

STRIPPED SCREW, SO HE REPLACED THE ENTIRE FAUCET.

PLEASE REFUND MY DEPOSIT BECAUSE I WILL NOT REPLY TO YOU.

Expert:  Patrick replied 5 years ago.
Experts do not handle any billing or payments. Contact the Help site at the bottom of this page in order to get an adjustment on your card. You have made a deposit that stays with Just Answer until you make an ACCEPT. It can be used for a future question if you wanted to. Just Answer will handle your request.