Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

How do you retrieve a shampoo cap from the drain in bathtub

Customer Question

How do you retrieve a shampoo cap from the drain in bathtub so water can go out?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomerbr />It depends on how far down the drain the cap is. If it hasn't made it past the tee in the tub waste then your best best is to bend a small hook in the end of a wire coat hanger and try to fish it out. If it has made it past the tee then the tub waste will need to be dismantled from the other side of the wall at the drain end of the tub. If the drain is accessible from an unfinished space below the drain can be cut and the cap removed there.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It did not answer question to satifaction to solve problem
Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry you weren't satisfied with my answer but that is how you retrieve a foreign object like a cap from a tub drain. You can't snake it out because that will only drive it further down the drain causing a bigger problem. There are no other options.