The Home Smithy, Tradesman
Experience:  Tradesman
3079445

My Whirlaway 291 is jammed, and I dont see a reset button

Customer Question

My Whirlaway 291 is jammed, and I don't see a reset button OR the screw for the hex wrench on the bottom. What do I do?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

The hole for the hex wrench is right in the center of the unit.

The reset is pretty well hidden. It has a metal ring around it that in effect hides it from view unless you can get right under the unit. But the hex key hole is right in the middle.

The reset may also be on the back side of the unit. But this is not very likely. It should be on the bottom somewhere.

Try the hex key. If the unit turns freely then you will have to find the reset. Just feel around on the bottom. It should be there.

Please post any other concerns here.

Best, THS

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I think that the reset on this particular unit is, indeed, on the front. However, there is nothing but a label on the bottom in the center. There is a hex screw on the bottom toward the side, but it doesn't move. I've tried to loosen it, nothing. I've tried to reset, nothing. I've unplugged it, nothing. All it does it hum. Water does not go down, and I have fished out as much of the clutter as I possibly can right now.

Ok, there is always the broom stick method. It is a bit crude but it does work.

Take a broom with a wood handle and put the handle into the unit. Use a rotating motion (like you are stirring a cauldron) to try and free up the grinding plate. Go in both directions and it should loosen it up. Try the switch after a few minuets of action on the broom stick. If that doesnt work then you will need to go to the hardware store and purchase a "disposal wrench" That will allow you to get a good grip on the grinding plate and twist it free.

If the unit doesnt work after you free up the grinding plate then you will need a new unit.

The Home Smithy, Tradesman
Experience: Tradesman
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The water FINALLY drained out and I could see that there was a screw lodged down in there. No doubt it was work of the Dynamic Duo (the 2-year-old girls). I got it out and it started right up. Thank you so much for your help, though. I really appreciate it!!

Ah yes. The infamous disposal duo. Your not the first to be hit by those two. Probably wont be the last either. They are the cousins of the dirty diaper droppers. I have cleaned out many a stopped up commode that has been hit by that gang. Wink

Glad you got it fixed.

Thank you for the accept, and the nice bonus too!

Best regards, XXXXX XXXXX Smithy