Patrick
Patrick, General Contractor
Experience:  30 years commercial construction and 23 years house remodeling projects

The kitchen faucets make a whistling noise when turned on 3/4

Customer Question

The kitchen faucets make a whistling noise when turned on 3/4 to full. When this happens, you can hear the water pipes shaking in the wall. Any ideas?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Patrick replied 5 years ago.
You may have a bad or loose washer on the shut off valves to the kitchen faucet. Water flowing around the washer causes it to rattle and make noise. Also, the shaking is what is referred to as water hammer. I will send another answer that will give you input on this. If you have a faucet that has washers instead of a cartridge, you need to check them out. You can turn off the shut offs for the hot and cold and turn one on at a time and see if you can determine if it is on the hot or cold line. Also, this may help you to determine if it is the shut off valve or the faucet valve itself.
Patrick, General Contractor
Experience: 30 years commercial construction and 23 years house remodeling projects
Expert:  Patrick replied 5 years ago.

Give this a try. You may be experiencing water hammer. Water pressure in your pipes is too high. Perhaps when you worked on your irrigation system you had some bleed down on your water lines.
You may need to allow your water arrestors to recharge. In some residences, pipes rise above the tee in order to trap air so that water does not "hammer" when turned on or off. Try turning off the water at the valve into your house. Open the hose bibbs, sink, bath and shower faucets and allow the cold water to drain out. Once drained, turn off the faucets and hose bibbs and turn the water supply valve back on. Start at the closest faucet to the water supply valve and turn them on throughout the house moving from closest to farthest. Air should sputter from each as you go. When you have all of the cold water running, air should be trapped in any arrestor pipes. Turn off the all faucets. Air should now be trapped in the arrestor pipes, softening the noise when water is turned off. If you do not have riser type arrestor pipes you may have cartridge type water arrestors. These are typically in the wall and are hard to get access to. The riser type water arrestor pipes can typically be seen in the attic running straight up 12" to 18" above the pipe tee dropping down the wall to your tub. Good luck. Also, check that your pipes are anchored. That would be pipe straps that hold the pipe down to your framing. One other thing to check is to see if you have a loose screw or washer in your sink faucet. But, this noise would occur only when the sink was running. Also, check that the valves under your sink are fully open. Good luck. If this has been helpful, please remember to hit ACCEPT, otherwise I do not receive credit. Thank you.
Expert of the Month
Picture