Patrick, General Contractor
Experience:  30 years commercial construction and 23 years house remodeling projects

Unable to turn the hot water off under my bathroom sink, help!

Customer Question

I am unable to turn the hot water off under my bathroom sink. Cold is off. But no matter how hard I turn off hot water I still hear it running up from pipe and faucet won't stop leaking.

Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Patrick replied 7 years ago.

The hot water shut off valve is bad. Not a big problem. Shut off the water to the house where it comes in. There should be a shut off valve. If you have a shut off at the hot water heater do the same. Not a bad idea to turn off or put the hot water heater in vacation mode.

1)Turn on your hot water faucet and drain it off.

2)Get some towels and a bowl or bucket to catch the residual water.

3)Get a wrench and remove the shut off valve for the hot water side under the sink.

4)You will need to remove the fitting that is the connection tube that provides hot water up to the faucet.

Just disconnect it from the shut off valve. Take the removed valve to a plumbing supply store or a good home improvement store and match it up with a new one. Get some teflon plumber's tape or an appropriate plumber's pipe dope to put on the pipe threads coming out of the wall.

Install the new valve and hook up the pipe connection that goes up to the faucet. Turn the water back on and let it run for a bit. Be sure to open the valve to the hot water heater too. Clean the faucet aerators of any debris and you are back in business.

Good luck. Hope this has proven helpful. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How do I know where the water comes into the house? It's a condo...I initially did this to replace a valve to a leaky faucet but couldn't get the water shut off fully
Expert:  Patrick replied 7 years ago.
Depending upon your condo, check and see if you have a cold water line coming into your unit from outside that has a shut off valve on it. There would probably be a hose bib with it. If you cannot find it, get with the condo management and ask where the shut off is. If you have an individual water meter you should have a shut off right near it in the supply line or cut it off at the meter.