repipeslo
repipeslo, Plumber
Experience:  10+ years experiance in the pipe industries.

Im getting a chatter or vibration in my water pipes when water

Customer Question

I'm getting a chatter or vibration in my water pipes when water is running from different faucets. If I'm in the shower and another faucet is turned on, I can hear a chattering in the pipes and can feel the vibration when I touch the shower head. I can hear the chattering in the pipes when the outdoor faucet is running. And it seems to have started since I drained a few gallons from the water heater a week or two ago. I'm worried that it may get worse and cause a pipe to burst.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  repipeslo replied 4 years ago.

IT is probly one of two things. Either you have a pipe that was loose and is now having the water hammering affects you may want to check your system for loose pipes when the water is running. If nothing is loose it could be a water hammer absorber somewhere in your house or at the washer water outlets has been water logged as is cause the build up of preassure to cause the vibrating when you turn the water on.

One thing to try is shutting off the main water supply to your unit/house at the water meter and draining your system, once drained go ahead and refill it. this will recharge your air chambers with air and give you a cushion. Remember to remove the aerators from your faucets as they usually get clogged when you refill the water system.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just tried turning on the shower and another faucet, but it didn't make the noise. Normally I notice it in the morning. I'll check in the morning and see if it still makes the noise, and then try draining the system and see if that corrects the problem.

What is meant by "recharge your air chambers with air and give you a cushion."? Could draining some water from the hot water heater have caused this, and draining the system may correct it?

Thanks,

Herb

Expert:  repipeslo replied 4 years ago.
Yes you could have trapped air in the system...sometimes it will take a while to work itself out if you did. Aslong as you dont notice the shattering getting worse your problem should be able to be resolved.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi. The chatter is still happening. I haven't tried turning off the water at the main, as I don't know what you mean by "draining the system" I think it was. Once I turn off the water at the main, how do I drain the system? Could this be a result of my draining some water from the water heater a couple weeks ago, and the system needs air in it?

Thanks,

Herb

Expert:  repipeslo replied 4 years ago.
Yes you could have trapped air in the system or water logged a dappener...one way to try and resolve that issue is to shut the water going into the house...I would then go to a hose bib or lowest fixture where the water may drain out and open all your faucets.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi. I shut off the water to the house at the sidewalk, then went to each of my 6 faucets (2 outside hose connections, 3 bathrooms, and the kitchen) and opened and closed each faucet, letting what little water was there out. The chattering noise now seems to be a little more pronounced or louder when the water is in use, even when just turning on a faucet full, either the hot or the cold. Does that provide any more insight to the problem?

When I initially drained water from the water heater, why would that have caused the chattering? Could I have done something in the wrong order to cause this? I just attached a hose to the water heater, opened the drain on the water heater, released the check valve at the top of the water heater, and drained out a few gallons of water, which seemed to run clear (I may have missed any initial sediment coming out, then closed the drain and closed the check valve.

And by shutting off the main water supply and opening and closing each faucet, why would that make the chattering worse?

Thanks,

Herb