Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.

How do I relight my hot water heater Whirlpool Model

How do I relight my hot water heater?

Model: BFG1F4034T3NOV
Serial: 0818T402454
Product:(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.
Hi Henry
Locate the gas valve at the bottom front of the heater
It is in front of the thermostat depicted. On the top of the gas valve will be a dial that says ON OFF & PILOT. It probably is on ON now. Turn it to PILOT. Then press and hold the adjacent (red?) button, Now keep pressing the ignitor on the right side of the gas valve. It's probably a black button. When you push it it will click. Every time it clicks it will produce an arc at the pilot. Do this several times then check to see if you have a pilot flame. Look carefully sometimes it is difficult to see the pilot flame. Once the pilot is lit continue to hold down the red button for at least a minute. This allows the thermocouple to heat up and tell the gas valve that the pilot is lit. If you remove your finger and the pilot goes out then you either haven't held it down long enough or you have a bad thermocouple. If the pilot stays lit then turn the dial to ON. The main burner should ignite.