Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.

One of our toilets is hard to flush - the handle is hard to

Customer Question

One of our toilets is hard to flush - the handle is hard to push down. I t seems as though the suction inside is almost too good. Any advice?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomerbr />Try shortening the chain between the flush lever and the flapper. All you need is 1 or 2 links of slack.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We don't have any links in the bowl. They are all plastic pieces.
Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.
There must be something connecting the flush lever to the flapper. It is always a chain of some type. I have seen plastic chains but they also have links and the same advice applies.
In the above picture the flush lever is identified as "tank lever"
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have attached a picture - as best as I could get anyway - yet I see no such chain.

Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.
I forgot about Mansfield's "wonderful" flush valve. Unfortunately there isn't anything you can do to adjust this unique example of poor design. You could check to be sure that the overflow tube, which rides up and down when you flush, is moving freely and is not binding up on the guide post in the center. You could also change the gasket at the bottom of the cage valve (the bottom of this moveable overflow tube). Occasionally the gasket gets soft and can inhibit an easy flush. To get this assembly apart unscrew the round disk at the top of the tube that the refill tube is inserted into. Then the whole thing will lift out. You will see a rubber ring at the bottom of this assembly.
It looks like the toilet may be new judging from how clean the tank is. If this is the case then your problem is just a characteristic of this inexpensive toilet.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
As it turns out we have to replace the whole tube unit, not just the valve at the bottom. This process is substantially more indepth than your initial diagnosis - requires taking the whole thing apart from toilet. Thanks anyway.
Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.
thanks for using Just Answer