Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

We have a Kohler 1.6 gallon/6 litres per flush toilet. In

We have a Kohler 1.6 gallon/6 litres per flush toilet. In the past couple of days it has lost suction. It does not seem to be plugged (we've plunged it numerous times) and things keep going down however it is very slow to drain and gurgles when it does. Is there a valve or somthing that could be causing this loss of pressure and suction?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomerbr />It sounds like you have a partial stoppage. The fact that you can get things to go down when you plunge but the problem keeps recurring indicates to me that there is probably something stuck in the bowl. You could try running a special snake called a closet auger through the bowl
.graphic
A decent quality closet auger costs $30 to $40. There is a knack to using one so you may or may not have any luck if you try it yourself. If a closet auger doesn't work the bowl may need to be pulled to see if the obstruction can be accessed from below. But as you can see from the above pic there are parts of the bowl that are inacessible. You may just want to call a plumber to deal with this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Rick,

Our house is only a couple of years old and is quite airtight. Is it possible that this could be a plugged air pipe or that there's some kind of airlock?

Expert:  Rick replied 5 years ago.
The symptoms you describe could be caused by a blocked vent pipe or improperly vented toilet. Given that your house is "only a couple years old" this is not likely but is possible. Correcting a venting issue is much more difficult to diagnose and fix. I would rule out a partial stoppage (much more likely) before tackling a possible venting issue which might require opening up walls.
Your description "things keep going down however it is very slow to drain and gurgles when it does" is much more indicative of a partial stoppage. With a venting issue the water will usually just swirl in the bowl and not go down at all.
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience: Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.