Patrick
Patrick, General Contractor
Experience:  30 years commercial construction and 23 years house remodeling projects
16029536

My basement sink faucet (two knobs hot and cold) in laudry

My basement sink faucet (two knobs hot and cold) in laudry area has extremely weak water stream and makes whistling noise when turned on. No hot water from faucet nor for washing machine when hot wash cycle is selected. No water will fill the washer on hot cycle whatsover. All other upstairs faucets in house work fine with good pressure hot and cold water.Help?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Patrick replied 5 years ago.
It sounds like the valves that serve your laundry washing machine hot and cold as well as the sink hot and cold have restrictions in them. You may want to consider shutting off the water supply to the house as well as to the hot water heater and drain your system down. Remove and replace the valves in your basement for the sink and washing machine. It may just be that the valve rubber washers are swollen or broken down or they may be corroded and filled up with mineral build up. When installing a new valve, use appropriate pipe dope or plumbers teflon thread tape on the threads prior to installing the valves. After installing, flush the water through the valves into a bucket to catch any debris. Allow the faucets in the house to run when you turn the water back on in order for air to be purged from the faucets. The valve restriction can cause the whistling noise you have heard. If you get hot water back on in the basement at the sink but the washing machine does not run hot but it does from the valve, it may be that the hose strainer is clogged feeding hot water to the washer intake or the controls in the washer have gone on the fritz. Good luck. If this has proven helpful, please remember to hit ACCEPT, otherwise I do not receive credit. Thank you.
Patrick, General Contractor
Experience: 30 years commercial construction and 23 years house remodeling projects
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks!

An extremely comprehensive and sensible explanantion. I was considering attempting repairs myself but your response persuades me to rely upon professional plumbing expertise for this task. Thanks again!

Expert:  Patrick replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. Good luck with your project.