Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Want to unhook the water line for the ice cube maker. I found

Want to unhook the water line for the ice cube maker. I found the valve where the line was installed into the cold water. Shouldn't be able to close that valve? If I unhook from the refrigerator, water will leak out correct?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomerbr />If you want to disconnect your ice maker you will need to turn off the water where the 1/4" tubing for your ice maker connects to the "main" water line. If the valve that was used is a saddle valve

graphic

You will need to turn the T handle clockwise until it stops. This type of valve is notorious for not shutting off completely so there is no guarantee that turning it off will stop the flow of water completely. You should turn off the valve then disconnect the 1/4" line at the back of the frig. You will get some water leaking out when you disconnect this line but it shouldn't be much. If when you start to disconnect this line the water starts spraying all over the place then the shut off valve isn't working and you will probably need to call a plumber to fix it.

If your valve doesn't resemble the one pictured above then it probably isn't a saddle valve and your chances of shutting the water off completely will be much more likely