Bud
Bud, Plumber
Experience:  22 Years Field Experience - 17 Years Business Ownership - Residential or Light Commercial

My kitchenAide dishwasher has a vent ( ) next to the faucet

Customer Question

My kitchenAide dishwasher has a vent (?) next to the faucet on the sink that connects to the dishwasher and the disposal underneath. It spurts water all over the countertop during dishwasher operation, when the water drains. I've removed it, taken it apart, and put it back together. It looks unbroken. What's causing the water to come out?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Bud replied 5 years ago.

Hi ,

Thank you for asking your question on
I am
Bud - Your personal online "Plumbing Consultant"

This is the dishwasher air gap. When the dishwasher drains, the water goes through the drain hose up to the air gap then down into the disposer. This is code for some areas. It isn't code in my area. I don't have one on mine. Mine is connected directly to my disposer. If my sink were to stop up the water could back into my dishwasher. This is the reason for the code in some areas.

The reason water is coming out is, it has failed. You may not physically see anything wrong with it. Replacing it will resolve your problem. When removing the hoses make sure they are clear and open. No buildup on the sidewalls of the tubing.

I hope the above information helps, if it does not give you the answer you require please reply with other questions about this.

If you leave me POSITIVE FEEDBACK you deserve a

My goal is 100% customer satisfaction. If you do not feel you can leave positive feedback please do not accept my answer.

Bud, Plumber
Experience: 22 Years Field Experience - 17 Years Business Ownership - Residential or Light Commercial
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

THANK YOU! I'LL GET A NEW PART FROM A PLUMBING SUPPLY STORE NEARBY AND INSTALL IT. YOU'VE SAVED ME A PLUMBER'S CALL. THANKS!

Expert:  Bud replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for accepting my answer!! I am glad I was able to help you!! If you have additional questions about this I will be glad to answer them.

I hope you will return to Just Answer again. Please tell your friends about Just Answer. In the future you can request me personally if you wish. Click Here

There is no need to reply to this post unless you have additional questions. It will only generate a request for me to reply to your post.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Bud,

I replaced the air gap as you said. It still squirts water all over the countertop. Got another idea?

Expert:  Bud replied 5 years ago.

It had to be the air gap or a restriction in the drain line going into the disposer.

Is it clear, not kinked? As you can see in the diagram, if there is any restrictions in the hose connecting the air gap to the disposer the water will show its ugly self on the counter. The air gaps have a bad habit of stopping up near the outlet connection. Replace or clean the hose between the air gap and the disposer making sure the port in the disposer is clear and nothing to restrict the flow from the air gap. Please reply if you need other help.

graphic

04/12/2009 11:27 PM

I hope the above information helps, if it does not please let me know.

If this helps you, please CLICK ACCEPT (I DO NOT GET PAID OTHERWISE). The question will not close after you accept and will be available for additional follow up.

PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK I gladly accept BONUSES!