Patrick
Patrick, General Contractor
Experience:  30 years commercial construction and 23 years house remodeling projects

My pipes make a loud banging noise when we run hot water in

Customer Question

My pipes make a loud banging noise when we run hot water in certain parts of the house, when I say loud I mean like jack hammer loud. Did not do this the first 2 years and now in the 3rd year. is this maybe a pressure problem I can fix?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mario replied 5 years ago.

does it make the noise when shut off or when turned on?

is it after the water runs for a second or two ?

and what fixture does it make the noise at and witch ones does it no?

and last do you have a water heater or a coilin the boiler

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am new at this so do not let me screw up your money. All fixtures do it after yes a couple of seconds. Some like my bathroom will be fine until the water warms up at that fixture. I have noticed that the larger fixtures buch as shower, clothes washer do not do it near as often as my sinks and dish washer. This is a 1300 sq ft home not big and not old. Gas water heater, and 3 sinks, 2 showers, 1 dish, 1 clothes. It does not happen when water is off.
Expert:  Mario replied 5 years ago.

lets fix your plumbing first , then we will talk money lol

ok lets plumb

do you have a pressure reducing valve on your water main or a double check valve . some times thease devices will make this noise throught the house when water is used usualy when any water is used but i have seen it when water goes into the heater and through a few valve or through heat traps ( special nipples on water heaters ) the pressure get reduced just enough to cause a bouncing of the diphram or washer in thease items

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok its about to get dark but i went out to the meter in the ground in front yard and the gauge showed fluctuation between .625 to .800. during operation of clothes washer and then I had other person turn on hot water and it imediately went to 0 which is in the 12oclock position on this gauge. does this help?
Expert:  Mario replied 5 years ago.

lol not realy

but in your meter pit you have a meter and thats it do you see another device that looks big and brass like with ports on it

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no just one line in to the meter and one going out of the meter
Expert:  Mario replied 5 years ago.
where it comes into the house there is a valve is there anything after the valve
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
possibly, how much longer will u be on here bcause I have to go outside and im eating right now
Expert:  Mario replied 5 years ago.

i tell you what if i am gone i will back tomarow after 5:00 if you can wait if not any other expert can help if you wish

enjoy your diner

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I looked all around the house and cannot see where the water comes in to the house so that leaves me to believe it comes in thru the crawl space. I dont do crawl spaces. Foot in mouth I guess you are probably gonna tell me it's under there right. If you could tell me how to fix anyway and I can get one of my employees to do it. They are gas fitters and I am actually a Master Gas Fitter, on paper anyway. If you wanna check my company out the site is www.accesshomespecialty.com.
Expert:  Patrick replied 5 years ago.
Give this a try if you do not find a pressure reducing valve and do not have apressure tank on your water system:
Typically that is water hammer. Water pressure in your pipes is too high
You may need to allow your water arrestors to recharge. In some residences, pipes rise above the tee in order to trap air so that water does not "hammer" when turned on or off. Try turning off the water at the valve into your house. Open the hose bibbs, sink, bath and shower faucets and allow the cold water to drain out. Once drained, turn off the faucets and hose bibbs and turn the water supply valve back on. Start at the closest faucet to the water supply valve and turn them on throughout the house moving from closest to farthest. Air should sputter from each as you go. When you have all of the cold water running, air should be trapped in any arrestor pipes. Turn off the all faucets. Air should now be trapped in the arrestor pipes, softening the noise when water is turned off. If you do not have riser type arrestor pipes you may have cartridge type water arrestors. These are typically in the wall and are hard to get access to. The riser type water arrestor pipes can typically be seen in the attic running straight up 12" to 18" above the pipe tee dropping down the wall to your tub. Good luck. Also, check that your pipes are anchored. That would be pipe straps that hold the pipe down to your framing. Good luck.
Patrick, General Contractor
Experience: 30 years commercial construction and 23 years house remodeling projects