Patrick
Patrick, General Contractor
Experience:  30 years commercial construction and 23 years house remodeling projects
16029536

MY TOILET IS LEAKING FROM A BOLT HOW DO I FIX IT

MY TOILET IS LEAKING FROM A BOLT HOW DO I FIX IT?
If the bolt is the bolt that holds the tank on, you will need to turn off the water supply valve to the toilet, flush the toilet to drain the tank, take a sponge to get the rest of the water out then remove the bolt. There will be two bolts on the bottom of the inside of the tank. Hold the bolt with a screwdriver and use a socket wrench of the right size and remove the nut and washer from under the tank on each side. Lift the tank off and set it on some towels and replace the rubber gaskets, nuts, bolts and washer, get these from a home service center or good plumbing supply store. Replace and set tank back on and carefully tighten the nuts. Do not overtighten and break the tank. Refill and check for leaks. If you are leaking at the bottom of the toilet at the floor, you will need to remove any caulk from the base of the toilet, remove the nuts from the bolts and lift the entire toilet off the floor. Remember to disconnect the supply hose from the wall or toilet. You will need to remove the old wax ring seal off the bottom of the toilet and from the floor flange and put new toilet bolts in and set a new wax toilet seal on the bottom of the toilet. Carefully reset the toilet, the bolts should come thru the base holes, set the washers and nuts and tighten down. You should first sit on the toilet to firmly seat the wax ring. Rehook up the supply water and fill the tank and watch for any leaks. After a day or two, recaulk around the base. If your floor is not level, shim under the toilet with small thin plastic shims to balance it. Good luck. If this has been helpful, please remember to hit ACCEPT, otherwise I do not receive credit. Thank you.