Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.

Water seems to be coming up from the ground right next to our

Customer Question

Water seems to be coming up from the ground right next to our clean-out drain (hopefully that's the correct terminology). What are the possibilities and what can I do to fix it myself?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomerbr />It sounds like you probably have a sewer stoppage. If you are seeing water coming out of the sewer line then you probably have a fair amount of head pressure in the line. Head pressure is caused by the water in the line backing up to a level higher than where you see it leaking from the pipe. You could attempt to snake out the line yourself but that would include renting the equipment and dealing with some pretty disgusting conditions. I would suggest you call a drain cleaning company like Roto Rooter (this is not an endorsement) and let them deal with the mess.

There is one other possibility and that is that what you are seeing is ground water seeping into your basement but this would only be likely after a very heavy rain assuming of course that this is a novel occurance