mark, Building Inspector
Experience:  International Code Council Cert. Res. Plumbing Inspector

My Burnham Boiler keeps shutting down for no reason (at least

My Burnham Boiler keeps shutting down for no reason (at least I don't know the reason). It's been doing it sporatically for the past few days. To restart it, all I have to do is open the front door of the boiler and the ignition kicks in ... any ideas?

Thanks for using JustAnswer!

I need to know if your boiler is gas or oil.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Is there a switch attached to the door? Is it a sealed combustion chamber? Are there openings in the cabinet?

Customer: replied 7 years ago. switch attached to the door, I don't think... It's not technically a door. To open the 'door', I lift it up and pull it out. As soon as I lift the door up and pull it out, the ignition kicks in, it goes through the process of restarting, then the pilot lights and it restarts.

Sealed, combustion chamber... or openings in the cabinet... I don't know what those are.

Once you take the 'door' off, everything within the boiler is in sight and accessible.

The boiler is about 5-6 years old.

OK..when you take the cabinet door off...and bend down...can you see open flames? or are the flames behind glass?...what color is the flame? The cabinet is the shhet metal that covers the entire boiler. Are there openings in it or is it completely solid? Sorry for so many questions...but it should help me figure out what is going on. Thanks, Mark
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I can see open flames, yes. They are blue and orange color. The flames look as I would expect, but then again I don't know anything about boilers...

In the sheet metal covering ('door) there are vents... vents on the top and vents at the bottom. Plus the two holes for lifting it up.

The flames should only be blue if they are adjusted properly. For each flame there is a nozzle and air adjuster vent at the front of the flame tube. The air intake adjustment may adjust the orange out of the flame. Check all wire connections that you see inside the cabinet, the vibration of lifting off the cabinet door may be connecting a loose connection. If you could get me the model #, I can do some research for this unit. Be careful...if you don't know what you are doing inside a gas boiler, bad things can happen. fast!! Have a professional look at it and service it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

We had the boiler serviced about 3 years ago, so it's probably due for routine servicing again. I'd prefer the professionals do the adjusting of anything that has to do with flames, as I have no idea what I'm doing.

Thanks again,