Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.

I have a Briggs 4430 toilet that will not fully flush. I have

I have a Briggs 4430 toilet that will not fully flush. I have snaked the drain to over 25'. the toilet does not backup. I have the tank filling to the top of the stand pipe, above the manufactures recommended fill level and still not flushing fully. I filled a bucket with 2 gallons of water and dumped it into the bowel at the same time as I flushed it and the thing worked good. What do you think, time for a new & better toilet?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.
Hi Mike
It sounds like you either have a blocked vent for your toilet drain or there is a defect in the toilet. The symptoms you describe make the blocked vent likely. If you replace the toilet and the problem persists then the blocked vent is your problem.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What would be the best way to clear the vent on a very steep roofed 2 story house?
Expert:  Rick replied 7 years ago.
If you can locate the vent in the attic or below the roof you would need to cut into it and snake it out. If you are extrordinarily lucky you might be able to find a cleanout on a vertical stack that is directly below the toilet. Then you could run your snake up the vent. If the toilet was always a bit problematic then it's possible it was never vented properly.