Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years
6457309

Water is leaking out of the drain pipe going into the wall.

Customer Question

Water is leaking out of the drain pipe going into the wall. The hose just goes in the drain pipe. It does not seal. Now the drain pipe in the wall is filling up with water and leaking on to the floor. Do you have any advise? It has been fine this way for a few years and recently the water is filling up in the pipe and overflowing out of the pipe.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Brian replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

-Is this a drain for a washer?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes

It is the pipe that the drain hose from the washing machine goes into.

Expert:  Brian replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Welcome to Just Answer.

Sorry to hear about your problem.

It sounds like you have a partial clog in the drain pipe and/ or the trap. I do not recommend using chemicals since they often do more harm than good; they tend to weaken seals and fitting connections; You could try a plumbers snake auger to clear the partial clog.

graphic

You could also purchase the Drain King. It can be found at your local home improvement store or hardware store; they work great at unclogging drains. It comes in different sizes for different drain diameters and you simply attach it to a garden hose and slide the hose down the drain pipe as far as it will go. You then turn on the hose and it builds up pressure to the point where it releases in several bursts, expanding and contracting. You can clear one obstruction and then push the hose further to get to any others and they are only around 10 to 15 dollars.

graphic

Once you clear the obstruction the water should drain freely again.

If you need further help or clarification on this answer, please do not hesitate to reply to this post.

Thanks for asking your question at Just Answer.

Best of Luck, Brian

Please leave feedback at your convenience.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If the plumbers snake auger or Drain King don't work, is there a way to seal off the pipe so the water won't come back up the drain pipe?
Expert:  Brian replied 5 years ago.
Customer

No there is not. You do not want a seal, because that would allow sewage to back up into your washer. You need to clear the blockage or if you think the plumbing was installed incorrectly, it should be redone. Typically the drain for a washer, is higher than the washer and there is a drum trap or p-trap that can handle the drain water.

Drum trap:

graphic

Washer rough-in:

graphic

Best of Luck, Brian

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I think everything has been installed correctly. It has been working fine until recently. I tried the snake. No luck. I will try the Drain King. If that does not work, would you suggest a plumber at this point?

Expert:  Brian replied 5 years ago.
Yes, try the Drain King, the snake could either be sliding past the clog or not reaching it. The Drain King should get it. As a last resort, hire a plumber, but you shouldn't have to.
Brian, Architect
Experience: Licensed Architect- 17 years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. I will try the Drain King..

Expert:  Brian replied 5 years ago.

You are welcome.

Thank you for accepting my answer and please leave feedback at your convenience.

Good luck and have a great day.