Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.

Hi, my well pump keeps tripping the reset button out buy the

Hi, my well pump keeps tripping the reset button out buy the well. What would cause this?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 5 years ago.
The most common cause is a foreign object jamming the impeller. The motor could also be worn and prone to failure.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Rick,the pump is 7 years old and I do have sediment that shows up in my whole house filter and iron in my water. Could this cause the problem? The pump will work sometimes for a day before it shuts off and then sometimes I have to push the reset button several times before it will start again, this all just started in the last two days. If I need to what kind of a plumber do I need to come out to check this out? Thanks, Scott
Expert:  Rick replied 5 years ago.
It depends on the type of pump you have. If you have a submersible pump in a drilled well then it is unusual for sediment to be a problem after 7 years. Sediment is common and to be expected during the first year maybe 2. It makes me wonder if the pump is set too deep in the well. Sediment continually for 7 years could also shorten the life of the pump. If you have a shallow well pump (the pump is next to the well holding tank) and you are pulling in sediment then the foot valve at the bottom of the well intake is too deep. Iron in and of itself is not likely the cause of your problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Rick I am the third owner of the house that was built in 2001 so I'm not sure how long there has been a sediment problem and it is a drilled well (not sure how deep they set the pump ) or the type of pump. If I do need it replaced what type do you recommend and can any plumber do the job? Thanks, Scott
Expert:  Rick replied 5 years ago.
You need to call a well company. They can diagnose your problem and replace your pump if necessary. Chances are it's the original pump.
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience: Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Rick, Thank You very Much. Regards, Scott