Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years

I have a mens urinal that is running non - stop. Where do

Customer Question

I have a men's urinal that is running non - stop. Where do I look to find the problem? Would it be a simple replacement of a gasket or a valve? How do I know which to do?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Brian replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

-Is this a Regal or Royal flush valve?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It's a Regal
Expert:  Brian replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.

Sorry to hear about your problem.

When the water is not shutting off in the urinal, you will need to check the following:

The relief valve may not be seating properly or the by-pass orifice is clogged because of foreign material, or the by-pass orifice is closed by an invisible gelatinous film from over-treated water. If this is the case, you will need to disassemble the working parts and wash thoroughly. The size of the orifice in the by-pass is of utmost importance for proper metering of water into the upper chamber of the flushometer. DO NOT enlarge or damage this orifice. Replace inside kit if cleaning does not correct the problem.

The line pressure may have dropped and is not sufficient enough to force the relief valve to seat. If this is the case, you will need to shut off all control stops until pressure has been restored, then open them again.

An A-19-AC (white) closet relief valve may have accidentally been used in a 1 or 1-1/2 gpf urinal. If so, replace with A-19-AU (black) relief valve.

Inside cover may be cracked or damaged. If so, replace the inside cover (A-71).

If you need further help or clarification on this answer, please do not hesitate to reply to this post.

Thanks for asking your question at Just Answer.

Best of Luck, Brian

Please leave feedback at your convenience.