Mario, Master Plumber
Experience:  Master Plumber, Fire Sprinkler, and Jobbing Spec.

steam boiler losing water

About 2 weeks ago I started having to add water to my steam furnace every 12 hours or it would hit the low watter cut-off. I had a plumber come over and check. The furnace is absolutely not leaking (the gas company checked it too when they came for an electrical problem). Some of the radiator vents were shot so I had him replace all the radiator vents in the house. On 2 of the radiators, he put in varivents and they are in the half open position. The system is a little better. I can maybe get 24 hours before adding water. Before this problem I would add water every week or two. Any suggestions?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mario replied 7 years ago.

your return line is cloged. if you absoutly dont have a leak. thats the only thing

older returns are made of galv pipe or black and thay get cloged up the water gets soped up in the build up like a sponge. doubble check and make shure your return dont go into the floor as alot of returns do then feal around and see if its hotter in one spot. if it dont go in the ground you need to replace th return line

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The return does not go into the floor. It slopes back to the furnace . Is there any way that I can be sure its clogged without taking it apart? I have to hire a plumber to do it and I would imagine it will be fairly expensive.
Expert:  Mario replied 7 years ago.
for an avrage house apx 900 sq ft basement with a 1 1/4 copper return line runs about 1200 to 1800 bucks