Mario, Master Plumber
Experience:  Master Plumber, Fire Sprinkler, and Jobbing Spec.

My natural gas line whistles at my home when it is very cold

Customer Question

My natural gas line whistles at my home when it is very cold and the furnace kicks on. The sound radiates under the cooktop in the kitchen. It is very high pitched and annoying. My plumber has changed the regulator at the manifold, my gas provider has changed the meter, and thier regulator. My plumber also changed the ward flex connection from the manifold in the basement to solid copper. He also changed the flex connection under the cook top. The problem wont go away, any ideas?????????
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mario replied 7 years ago.

does this happen when any gas applyance goes on

and is it only in the winter

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
its only on cold days when the furnace kicks on. this is the only appliance that creates the whistle. the furnace is located directly under the cook top in the utility room in the basement. The sound radiates from under the cook top. My gas supplier was out and replaced the regulator, and the meter, because at first the whistling was coming outside from the gas main. The sound is no longer outside, and I have traced all the flex lines where visible going to other appliances to see if there were any sharp bends or kinks, All the lines seem to have smooth bends. In addition water column tests were taken on the furnace and at the regulator on the manifold, which were all within acceptable range. Also, all the flex lines are sized properly for all the appliances
Expert:  Mario replied 7 years ago.

the gas valve on the furnace may need to be lowerd

try to shut the gas slightly as the unit is on and see if the noise goes away

the next thing is you say you have fles gas lines is this house new if so it is verry possible the gas line may be undersized