Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years
6457309

My toilet makes a loud whining, vibrating and droning noise

My toilet makes a loud whining, vibrating and droning noise about 3 to 5 seconds after flushing. The toilet itself flushes fine and works ok. I can't seem to pinpoint the noise.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Brian replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Welcome to Just Answer.

Sorry to hear about your problem.

This noise is typically the fill valve located in the tank. The newer fill valves, as shown below, use a float rather than the old plastic ball on the end of a rod. If you have this type of float valve, you most likely can just flush any sediment that has managed to get caught in it. Depending on the brand, some twist off near the base, some have a cap on top that twists off after lifting off a plastic cover. With the water supply shut off, located under the tank, you can twist off the fill valve and then turn the water supply back. Just make sure you use your hand or a cup to block the flow of water that will come out of where you just untwisted the fill valve. This will flush out the sediment. You can also clean the rubber washer that is located here. put everything back together and it should work fine. If you would rather replace the fill valve, you can do this is as well since they are inexpensive.

graphic

If you need further help or clarification on this answer, please do not hesitate to reply to this post.

Thanks for asking your question at Just Answer.

Best of Luck, Brian

Please leave feedback at your convenience.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dear XXXXX; please allow me to restate my problem in clearer, more factual terms so you will be better able to get a handle on it. The loud noise I described is still the same;i.e.-
whining, vibrating, droning but deep in pitch. I timed it this morning and it occurs exactly
52 seconds after the toilet is flushed and the tank has refilled itself. The duration of the
noise is approximately 10 to 15 seconds in length. The winter(cold) is not the culprit as this happens in summer too. Honestly, it sounds like the pvc drain piping is vibrating at a
certain resonance or possibly the dwv pipe is vibrating. I just don't know, but it's driving me and my fiancee crazy!!
Expert:  Brian replied 5 years ago.
Customer

Well this make it a little harder to diagnose, since I cannot see it firsthand. I would verify that the tank has absolutely stopped filling, because this is a typical noise that occurs especially when the fill valve is completing the fill.

If there is no supply water moving at the time of the noise, then I would have to guess that it is in the drain piping. I would look for any areas where the piping may be rubbing against something, as the water drains. If you have a basement or crawlspace, have someone down there to listen while the toilet gets flushed.

Once the toilet fills and the fill valve shuts off, this sudden stop can cause vibrations to be sent back thru the supply lines. This can cause water hammer, in which a water hammer arrester would help to fix the problem. The supply piping could also be loose and hitting something nearby. It would be good to verify that all piping is adequately secured to the framing. A water hammer arrester is shown below; it reduces the shocwave sent out by the sudden stop of water.

graphic

Best of Luck, Brian

Brian, Architect
Experience: Licensed Architect- 17 years