Bud
Bud, Plumber
Experience:  22 Years Field Experience - 17 Years Business Ownership - Residential or Light Commercial

My shower has suddenly lost all pressure, but a trickle. All

My shower has suddenly lost all pressure, but a trickle. All other faucets are working fine. I have removed the shower fixture and cover for water control to look in the wall and it is dry as a bone. Any suggestions? - Desperate...
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Bud replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thanks for asking her at JustAnswer

Was the water running when it stopped or you went to turn it on and there was no water?

Bud

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Last night the shower worked fine. This morning, a small stream of cold water.
Expert:  Bud replied 5 years ago.

How cold is it where you are located?

Bud

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Please don't say frozen pipes... It got down to -15 last night. Southern Ohio around Columbus. If you do say frozen pipes, we have been running a heater around the location where I believe the line spilts between the seperate shower and the tub, but that has not helped any.
Expert:  Bud replied 5 years ago.

Well I believe one line has an ice block, (I won't say that word) how is that. Wink

If you have a pressure balance faucet valve, only pressure on one side will cause the other to just trickle. The heat just may not be exactly where it needs to be. With those temps you can be just a few inches to far away and it won't work.

Hope this helps, please reply with any other questions about this.

Bud

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How long can the "ice block" be in the pipes before damage starts? Also, any suggestions about a hot water block back from a faucet that works.
Expert:  Bud replied 5 years ago.

That depends on what type plumbing you have. CPVC pipe will take no freezing, Copper will take a little in short straight runs, pex or wirsbo is very resistant to bursting. The block can be after where the shower line comes off the main trunk line.

Bud

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Copper pipes... I've also read that an electrician's fish tape can be used to wiggle the blockage free?
Expert:  Bud replied 5 years ago.

Not through the 90's in plumbing. Electrical 90's are sweeps and designed for the tape. Is your shower faucet on an outside wall by chance?

Bud

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, that's what surprises me. I have a another faucet that is on an outside wall and it is fine.
Expert:  Bud replied 5 years ago.

It is possible that the water isn't frozen (opps) at all. You could have a bad cartridge in the shower valve. Do you know what brand the faucet is?

Bud

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Moen - about 10 years old. SIngle control for both hot & cold. If it is the faucet, is there an "easy" fix because it is soldered in.
Expert:  Bud replied 5 years ago.

Yes the Moen faucet is very easy to repair. You will need a screwdriver small needle nose pliers, Moen stem puller. This is the stem below.

graphic

Bud

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
A Moen stem puller tool? Or do I use the needle nose to pull the stem? After pulled, what should I look for?
Expert:  Bud replied 5 years ago.

Get the new stem first, the needle nose is for the "U" clip you have to remove. You may not see anything obvious that is wrong with it.

Bud

Bud, Plumber
Experience: 22 Years Field Experience - 17 Years Business Ownership - Residential or Light Commercial