Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years

Toilet fill valve not replenishing water into tank.

Customer Question

Good morning.

Last night, one of our toilets stopped working. It appears that the fill valve is not replenishing water into the tank of the toilet once it's flushed. When we do flush the toilet, the water simply drains out of the tank and we do not hear the fill valve working at all. We tried flushing a few times and now there is no water whatsoever in the tank. Does this sound like the fill valve needs to be replaced completely, or might there be a quick fix? We had no problems nor any indication of problems with it prior to this.

Thanks!
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Brian replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Welcome to Just Answer.

Sorry to hear about your problem.

The newer fill valves, as shown below, use a float rather than the old plastic ball on the end of a rod. If you have this type of float valve, you most likely can just flush any sediment that has managed to get caught in it. Depending on the brand, some twist off near the base, some have a cap on top that twists off after lifting off a plastic cover. With the water supply shut off, located under the tank, you can twist off the fill valve and then turn the water supply back. Just make sure you use your hand or a cup to block the flow of water that will come out of where you just untwisted the fill valve. This will flush out the sediment. You can also clean the rubber washer that is located here. put everything back together and it should work fine. If you would rather change out the fill valve, you can do this is as well since they are inexpensive.

graphic

If you need further help or clarification on this answer, please do not hesitate to reply to this post.

Thanks for asking your question at Just Answer.

Best of Luck, Brian

Please leave feedback at your convenience.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will try that to see if it works. Thanks, Brian!
Expert:  Brian replied 5 years ago.
O.K. Let me know how it works out or if you have any questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello again, Brian.

Actually, I do have one question... The fill valve we have looks nothing like the diagram you had sent. I'va attached some pictures of ours, as I have no idea how it works. Surprised Please let me know if the pictures are too large to see on your end. Thanks!graphicgraphic

Expert:  Brian replied 5 years ago.
Customer

Thanks for the pictures, they do help. Unfortunately, I have not seen this type of fill valve before. I was going to suggest replacing it with a float valve, but I'm not sure if this toilet specifically requires this type of valve. I will find out more from another expert. Thanks for your patience.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yeah, it's an odd one, huh? I have seen the other two most common types, but this one is a mystery to me, too. Thanks for your help, Brian. I appreciate it! I am headed off to work, so I will try to figure this one out when I get home. If you end up with any ideas, please let me know. I'll deposit more money into the account here, too, if need be.

Expert:  Brian replied 5 years ago.
Customer

I thought it looked familiar, it is a Korky fill valve. Here are the service instructions for it. You should be able to clean out the sediment as I discussed above or you an replace it.

Servicing Instructions

1. Turn off water supply. Flush toilet. Remove refill tube and snap off cover (A)
  2. Remove float by gently squeezing float arms inward. (B)
  3. While holding valve with one hand, twist cap 1/8 turn counter-clockwise and remove.(C)
  4. Lift out center tube. (D)
  5. Use pliers to remove strainer from center tube. (E) Clean strainer and cap by rinsing under running water.
  6. Re-assemble valve by reversing the above procedure. Note: If the main valve is worn out, (look inside cap), cleaning will not suffice, and a Replacement Cap Assembly, Hunter P/N R528 will be required.

Click here to go to the website; I tried to bring the graphic in but it didn't work.

Note: If the fill valve turns on and off by itself, or runs continuously without spilling into the overflow tube, the problem is not the valve. The fill valve is running due to a slow leak in the tank, probably caused by a flapper. Either worn out or misaligned.

Best of Luck, Brian

Brian, Architect
Experience: Licensed Architect- 17 years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks again, Brian! I will try that! I really do appreciate all your help!

Expert:  Brian replied 5 years ago.
Your welcome; let me know how it works out.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello again, Brian.

Not sure if you're still there, but I had another question...

I took apart the Korky fill valve and found no sediment to be built up in it nor any parts worn out. Just for the heck of it, I shut off the water supply to the toilet and removed the supply hose from the underside of the tank. I then slowly turned the water supply back on and no water whatsoever came out of the water supply hose. Then, I got to thinking... The past few days, it's been EXTREMELY cold outside. Today, in fact, it got down to -26 degrees! Is it at all possible that our pipes are frozen? The only thing is, the sink in that same bathroom works just fine, as do all other sinks, toilets, showers, etc. in the house. Might there be a pipe designated for that water supply leading to that toilet that could be frozen, or am I crazy and asking a stupid question?

Thanks,

Expert:  Brian replied 5 years ago.
Customer

Sorry to make you take the fill valve apart. I guess I should have had you disconnect the supply line to the toilet, to make sure you had water there first.....but 99% of the time you would. If you are saying that you disconnected it from the tank and turned the supply valve back on, preparing to empty it into a bucket, and nothing came out then there is a couple of things I would look at.

Verify that the supply line is not clogged, by disconnecting it from the supply valve with the water shut off. Slowly open supply valve to see if water comes out; have a bucket and towel ready. If no water, then the valves rubber seal has possibly broken and is clogging the valve and you would need to replace the valve. Another possibility, as you previously mentioned, is that the pipe could have frozen, especially if the piping is in or near an exterior wall; and at those temperatures it is likely. In this case, I would thaw the piping out with a hairdryer and try and insulate the surrounding area a little more, if possible. It is easier to do if you have access from below, such as in a basement.

Good luck and thank you for accepting my answer. Please leave feedback at your convenience.

Have a good day and do not hesitate to reply with any questions or any updates.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Oh, no apologies needed at all, Brian. It was no problem taking the valve apart at all, and it gave me a better understanding of how the whole thing works anyway.

It turns out that the pipe must have been frozen after all, as I turned the water to the toilet back on last night, and sure enough, it worked just fine. It went from -26 degrees to about +20 degrees in one day, so that helped things a bit!

Thanks again so much for your help! I really do appreciate it! I will leave positive feedback for you now, as I completely forgot to do that over the weekend.

Take care, and have a great week!

Expert:  Brian replied 5 years ago.

Good to hear!

If you can, try and insulate the surrounding area a little more to prevent it from happening in the future.

Have a good day.