bettybull
bettybull, Plumber
Experience:  30+ years licensed & bonded plumbing contractor, historical renovations, house building,
13856878

My bathroom sink faucet...the hot water only, turns itself

Customer Question

My bathroom sink faucet...the hot water only, turns itself off. Meaning when running the hot water in the sink, after a few minutes, there is a thump, like it has been turned off and the water stops, even when the handle is still on. Sometimes it will not run again for a day or so.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  bettybull replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

I have a couple of questions for me to help figure this out.

1. Is this a two handle faucet?

2. How old a faucet is it?

3. Can you see any brand name?

Thanks,

Bettybull

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi there Bettybull,
It is an American Standard, two handle faucet and I am guessing it is between 5 and 8 years old.
The noise it makes is sort of in the wall and sounds like the water slamming off somewhere in there. It is almost a thud. It usually turns back on after a few hours but it has been off for over 24 now.
Any ideas?
Chickadee
Expert:  bettybull replied 7 years ago.

Hi Chickadee,

It sounds like the hot water valve has come apart and is closing itself when it expands from the heat, etc. .

1. Turn the water off to the faucet.

2. Remove the faucet handle.

3. Remove the hot water valve cartridge.

4. The easiest thing is to just replace the cartridge with a new one as they cost approx. $10.00+/-. Or you can try fixing it by cleaning any crud that has become lodge in it or putting it back together properly if it is not totally broken.

5. Flush the water through the opening where the valve was by turning the water on to the faucet for a second or two to make sure nothing else is restricting the flow of water and then reinstall the new or repaired valve.

Let me know how you do and if you find something else out as you take it apart.

Regards,

Bettybull