Plumber Matthew
Plumber Matthew, Plumber
Experience:  Licensed Journeyman Plumber. Eleven years of Commercial and Residential plumbing.

I have a hot water heater made by whirlpool that has a bad

Customer Question

I have a hot water heater made by whirlpool that has a bad thermo couple. When I went to the plumbing supply store, they said that they didn't carry replacement parts for it because there was some sort of lawsuit pending against whirlpool regarding their thermocouple. Is this true? What should I do?It is a model number FG1H4040T3NOV.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mario replied 7 years ago.

I never herd of such a thing the supply house should have gave you a universal thermocuple if there was a suit against one made by GE

Brands to try

white rogers

trade line

tripple s

thay all make thermocouple that are universal

good luck and happy new year

Expert:  Plumber Matthew replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question,

There are in fact lawsuits involving Whirlpool and defective thermocouples:

Unfortunately universal thermocouples do not work because the Whirlpool thermocouple has left handed threads and generic replacements are all right hand threaded.

You do have a few options. You can contact Whirlpool at 1-877-817-6750 and request an adapter kit for use of a standard thermocouple. You can call the number above and locate a supplier that will sell you the thermocouple you need. You can replace the gas valve assembly and thermocouple with universal parts eliminating the uniqueness of these parts or you can replace the entire water heater.

I hope this information is useful. If I can be of further assistance on this topic please let me know. Thanks!