Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years
6457309

A babys washcloth was sucked down our bathtub drain. The drain

Customer Question

A baby's washcloth was sucked down our bathtub drain. The drain goes straight back for 3-4in, then drops down at a 90 degree angle, we cannot get to the pipes without tearing into the wall. Do you have any suggestions about what we can fish down the drain with to get it back, we suspect that it didn't go very far.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Brian replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Welcome to Just Answer.

Sorry to hear about your problem.

I would use a plumber's snake/ auger which has a corkscrew device on the end and it is good at hooking cloth like objects. These can be bought at your local hardware store/ home improvement store.

graphic

graphic

If you need further help or clarification on this answer, please do not hesitate to reply to this post.

Thanks for asking your question at Just Answer.

Best of Luck, Brian

Please leave feedback at your convenience.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Will that be able to bend at a 90 degree angle once it gets pat the initial part of the drain?
Expert:  Brian replied 8 years ago.

Yes, because it is very flexible; it is wire that is coiled tightly, like a spring, which makes it stiff but flexible. I just used one in a toilet last night and it worked great; it actually will hook the cloth and allow you to pull it back.

Best of Luck, Brian

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This didn't work, the plumber's snake/ auger would not bend the 90 degrees that we needed it to to get down the drain, we're trying to exhaust all other options before having to call a plumber..
Expert:  Brian replied 8 years ago.

Yes, sorry I forgot to tell you that you could go down the overflow pipe, by removing the cover plate, as a second option. You will also need to pull out the lever and linkage. The end picture shows a typical cutaway view of a tub drain.

graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Do you have any suggestions on how to get the over flow plate off, it doesn't have any screws in it.
Expert:  Brian replied 8 years ago.
Is this a cast iron tub? Or fiberglass?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
cast iron
Expert:  Brian replied 8 years ago.

Does the overflow cover look similar to this? If so, look around the edge for a small set screw that will need to be loosened.

graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No it doesn't look like that. It has opening in the center of the cap, sort of like this one.     http://images1.hdpi.com/product/SunriseSpecialty-42-60TowerDrain42-60.jpg
Expert:  Brian replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the picture. I believe this type just snaps on, but I would first check the perimeter for a set screw. I will verify this with another expert.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
There's no set screw to this one... I've tried to "pop" it off but I can't get it.
Expert:  Brian replied 8 years ago.
Customer

There could be a center screw on this...it is hard to tell from the picture.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I've checked.. there's no screw.
Expert:  Brian replied 8 years ago.

It could twist by hand rather than by screwdriver. Does the cover have a ring like the picture below?...if so turn the ring to loosen the bolt.

graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'll go try that

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It won't come off, not sure what else to try.

Expert:  Brian replied 8 years ago.
Typically the covers are held on with one or two screws or a small set screw. It appears that this one has a center screw and my guess, is that it is rusted in place. You could try to break the rusted connection. The other option is to allow the cloth to go down the drain...it may be small enough to drain out without causing a clog.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
There's a screw holding the drain nob in place.. could this be the same screw for the plate also?
Expert:  Brian replied 8 years ago.
It sounds like it... try it.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I tried.. it's either rusted on or that screw had nothing to do with removing the plate cover.. I think I'm going to have to call a plumber. The wash clothe is clogging the drain so the option of just trying to let it go won't work.. thanks for your help anyway.
Expert:  Brian replied 8 years ago.
Alright.....sorry about that. You could try it down the drain again and twist the snake/ auger while pushing it...it helps it to get around the corners.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
plumber got it out. thanks for you help, we tried.

Expert:  Brian replied 8 years ago.
Good to hear.......how did he do it?