Bud, Plumber
Experience:  22 Years Field Experience - 17 Years Business Ownership - Residential or Light Commercial

I have a Moen single-handle shower that is making a loud screeching

Customer Question

I have a Moen single-handle shower that is making a loud screeching noise immediately after lifting the Moen diverter. The noise persists for about 10 seconds and then goes away. The noise can be lessened by slightly lowering the diverter, or even just jiggling the diverter. It seems to be unique to the shower and only occurs when using the shower not when using the tub.

The bathroom sink faucet also makes noise sometimes, like a trombone sound, when the water is turned on. Then the sound goes away.

Have had this problem for years.

I recently replaced the shower head but that didn’t help.

Any suggestions?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Bud replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for asking here at JustAnswer

The tub/shower can be fixed by replacing the tub spout diverter. I have found no rime or reason why some will do this and some won't. I have had to replace it a couple times to get it fixed.

The faucet is a problem I don't know if I have ever ran into. I have heard of turning on the faucet and the toilet making a noise like this.

Hope this helps on a Christmas Eve!!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Did you have to replace the same tub/shower diverter spout a few times until it became silent?

There is a hex screw on the bottom left of the spout. Do I unscrew it and then either pull or unscrew the spout?

I don't have a collar just caulking against the wall. Can I get one with a collar and then not need to caulk?

Should I replace the diverter spout and then if it works accept your answer? Is that the right order?

The sink faucet usually makes sounds after not having been used for a while, such as first thing in the morning.
Expert:  Bud replied 7 years ago.
  1. Sometimes, but you may get it the first time.
  2. Yes, loosen the hex and pull the spout straight off.
  3. Just caulk around it, leaving the "drain opening" open at the bottom.
  4. Accept my answer at your discretion. I will reply till we get it right either way.
  5. You may try a new cartridge for the sink faucet. I just really don't know about that one.

Any other experts here please chime in about the noise with the faucet.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'll try replacing the spout on Sunday and then accept your answer.

Have a wonderful Holiday.
Expert:  Bud replied 7 years ago.

Have a blessed day tomorrow.