Bud
Bud, Plumber
Experience:  22 Years Field Experience - 17 Years Business Ownership - Residential or Light Commercial
13237305

My toilet drain is leaking from upstairs toilet. I believe

My toilet drain is leaking from upstairs toilet. I believe the leak is at the elbow ; or at least that is where the leak shows up at the bottom of the elbow. Since all drain material is PVC, and glued at the joints , how do I remove the existing pipe (s) for replacement , or can I repair leaks without removal of existing pipes? In running water through the shower, bathroom sink or toilet, only flushing the toilet produces an observable leak.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Bud replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thanks for asking here at JustAnswer

First I would reset the toilet just to be sure the wax ring isn't the problem. I would use a "no-Wax" ring also instead of a wax ring.

graphic

If that doesn't fix the problem removing the leaking joint can be a chore. If it is leaking at the joint it probably wasn't primed properly, which could be good. Now I haven't seen your plumbing so....to get the pipe out of the leaking joint go about 24" away from the 90 if possible and cut the pipe square. With some movement, if the joint isn't a good one, the pipe may come out. If it doesn't remove the toilet and replace the floor flange, 90, and short piece of pipe and reconnect.

Hope this helps, please reply with any other questions about this.

Bud