macleaner, Plumber
Experience:  22 Years as a NJ state licensed Master Plumber

I have a 15 to 20 year old shower mixing valve that is leaking.

I have a 15 to 20 year old shower mixing valve that is leaking. Im guessing that the "O" rings on the shaft need to be replaced. the local hardware store and big box home improvement stores were no help in advising me how to remove the shaft. It is a Stanadyne or tanadyne brand shower mixing valve. I removed the handle or knob, and the metal plate held in place by two screws. There is a thin metal sleeve that slides over the tube that holdls the rotating shaft,ann
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  macleaner replied 7 years ago.

Hi Lepracon,

Yeah these are normally tough to get off. With your water off to the house and drained, once you remove the face plate and the silver sleeve there will be a retainer clip behind that it looks like an upside down horseshoe and is made of brass. That will get pulled up towars the cieling and then you can pull the cartridge. Not easy to pull but it will come out.