Bud
Bud, Plumber
Experience:  22 Years Field Experience - 17 Years Business Ownership - Residential or Light Commercial
13237305

My HOT water is not flowing effectively up to my two showers

My HOT water is not flowing effectively up to my two showers from the basement to the upstairs. The faucet HOT water is working just fine. The cold water is flowing just fine. We did get a new water heater, but the problem existed before that. Both shower handles are a single handle (ie. you twist Left for hot right for cold. vs. having a separate handle for cold and a separate handle for warm. We did a remodel about 2.5 years ago and that is when is started to occur. The house is 1970. The results I received from my initial question did was not clear and I could not action on it. Please help.

HiCustomer

Thanks for asking here at JustAnswer

Do you know if the replacement plumbing was the same size as the old plumbing. It could very well be that it was undersized. What material was used for the replacement?Would it be possible to take a photo of the water heater showing the plumbing coming out the top? I can help you with this, it may take a little time.

Bud

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I could take a picture with my cell phone camera. what email would I send it to? It was only the fixtures that were replaced during the remodel.

Ok, you need to send it to yourself and use the feature here in the text box to insert the picture, but if the piping wasn't replaced that eliminates that. Was a filter, softener or any other device installed with the remodel?

Bud

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No their was not. Could it be that their is rust from the hot water pipe to the shower pipes? I will go take the picture.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
graphic

If your plumbing is galvanized, then yes there could be a problem with rust. But I am suspecting that the problem will relate to the tub valve itself. Is the tempature adjustable? Or have a stop limit on it?

Bud

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am not sure how to check that if the temp is adjustable or has a stop limit. Also to note, the remodel we did on the shower in the master (w/out the tub was done a 4 years ago). The remodel done on the kids bath (tub and shower) was done 2.5 years ago. Both have this hot water problem.

Are they the same brand valve? The picture came through great by the way. Could you take a photo of the shower valve unless you know the brand name and model?

Bud

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Jado for the one in the tub / shower

American Standard for the shower

I wiil send pictures but wanted to keep the ball rolling
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
need to refresh to send graphic please reply to me so I can do that. For some reason it is not allowing be to browse

Send the pics.

Bud

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Just sent you the American Standard
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
American Standard Head
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Jado tub head
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes that is the one.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
You should have all the pics now

http://www.jadousa.com/assets/repair/853401_repair.pdf

http://www.jadousa.com/assets/install/853401_install.pdf

First is an exploded view of your valve. Second is the installation instructions for setting the tempature of the stop on page 2. The American Standard should be very similar in design.

Bud

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I reviewed the pdf. this is for keeping a constant temp or leaks after turn off. My problem is that if I turn the handle to hot, the water pressure drops drastically to a drip from what it was when it was on cold....which was a regular shower flow.

Ok, that was good info there. Does the tempature get hot enough? If so how long does the temp last before needing to turn it hotter?

Bud

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Temp is fine. No issues their. just dribbles on you. which makes a shower take 3X longer

Ok, use this diagram: http://www.jadousa.com/assets/repair/853401_repair.pdf

I believe you have some trash or debris in the cartridge on the hot side of the valve. Remove the cartridge and try to wash out the debris. Make sure the "screwdriver stop" is fully open when reinstalling the cartridge.

Bud

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Where is the cartridge? in the head or in the faucet

Behind the handle you adjust the tempature with. It will be #2 on the exploded view. It is called the "Pressure Balancing Unit". You need to feel comfortable in your ability before taking this apart, if not I would call a professional.

Bud