30yearPlumber
30yearPlumber, Plumber
Experience:  2nd generation, Master Plumber, Plumbing inspector, Code official
11872526

the toilet in the master bath will not flush and when i take

Customer Question

the toilet in the master bath will not flush and when i take a shower in either bathroom the toilet in the master bath bubbles up. what is wrong with it
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  30yearPlumber replied 8 years ago.

If the toilet bubble ups when you're taking a shower there isn't anything wrong with the toilet. It sounds like the drain is partially clogged up. It could be a vent problem, but I think if you snake the drain downstream of the toilet you should solve the problem. If there is no clean-out on the waste line, you may have to remove the toilet to snake out the line. You could also try the drain king graphicThis attachés to a hose and you put it in the drain and turn the water on. i would try short blasts especially if you are on an upper floor on the house. You want to be careful not to have the water back up and through the ceiling. Have a wet vacuum and rags ready. Or rent an electric snake for a 3" waste line and try to snake out the line. Good Luck Plumbertom

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
we found the pipe on the outside of the house that connects to the septic tank. there is a disconnect there. when the pipe is disconnected the toilet flushes fine. we took the water hose and sprayed down the pipe to the septic tank and it seems to flow fine. but when we connect it back together toilet does the same thing again.

Is this a one story home? Tom

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes it is . Tom

I would check the septic tank and the line running out to it. It may take water from a hose, but it's possible that it is backing up and closing off the vents connected to the sewer. There may be a problem with the fixture vents but I find that is a rare occurrence. Tom

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
But wouldnt both Toilets not flush if that was the case and wouldnt the whirlpool not drain as well? The tub is on the same line and drains fine. Could it be the TOILET

I've never seen a toilet bubble up and had something wrong with the toilet. The fact that it doesn't work when you are taking a shower tells me it has to be a problem with the waste line. If the master toilet is the closest fixture to where the sewer leaves the house then I think the line is backing up and blocking the vent line. That is the only answer I can come up with besides a clogged vent line above the toilet which would be rare. With the information you have given me, this is what I think is wrong. Tom

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Also Tom I have no clue if this has anything to do with it. But we have had 4 days of rain. The showe drains fine. We can just hear it bubbling in the sink and Toilet when we take a shower. Also if you Plunge the toilet you can hear it in all the lines throughout the house bubbling. Thanks for your help.
The rain points to a near full septic system. My experience points to a septic problem partially filling the pipe and closing off the vent to certain fixtures. Without being there that's the best I can come up with. Let me know what happens and good luck. Tom