Plumber Matthew
Plumber Matthew, Plumber
Experience:  Licensed Journeyman Plumber. Eleven years of Commercial and Residential plumbing.

I have a Sinkguard garbage disposer that is about 8 years old,

Customer Question

I have a Sinkguard garbage disposer that is about 8 years old, does not get alot of use but has jammed up and is causing my sink to not drain properly. It is an SE 150, 1/3 HP. I did not receive a users guide so don't know how to fix the problem. I have checked the breaker box and have pushed the small red button on the bottom of the disposer but nothing happens. When I flip the electrical switch it just makes a humming noise. Can you help?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Plumber Matthew replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question,

On the bottom of your garbage disposer, in the center, you should see a place to insert an "allen" wrench. Insert the correct size wrench in to the hole and work it back and forth, making sure that the electricity is switched off. You are affectively spinning the electric motor and blade assembly.

Once you get it freed up with the wrench, remove the wrench. Turn the water faucet on to that side of the sink and switch on the electricity. You may have to do this several times depending on what the obstruction is.

If you need any more help regarding this question please feel free to ask. Thanks!