Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor

My water softener just started making this really loud sound.

Customer Question

My water softener just started making this really loud sound. This will sound strange, but it almost sounds like an alien spacecraft is landing in there. I checked on it and there is nothing leaking. It made that sound for about 10-15 minutes, stopped and has started again. Any ideas on why it is doing that and how to stop it? Thanks.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  usingthejon replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

It is very possible that it could be a couple of things. The first thing I would check is to see if the timing motor is working. Take the cover off of the control head and look at the back. There will be a round motor (generally silver) that has a clear panel to look in. If it is running correctly it should be moving.

The other thing this could be is that the softener needs to be backwashed manually. If this is the case please refer to your owners manual.

Hope this helps.