Jack Stiner
Jack Stiner, Plumbing/Appliance Repair
Experience:  20 yrs. in home appliance repair including major/minor plumbing repairs.
12253100

where do I find a left hand thread thermocouple for hot water heater

Customer Question

I own a beauty salon and 3 years ago I bought a frigidaire hot water heater. The thermocouple went bad today in the middle of our busy day. No store in our area carries a left hand thread thermocouple. I have 12 girls with full books of appointments tomorrow and NO HOT WATER. I'll have to close and pay these girls for their lost income. I'm in tears tonight.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Jack Stiner replied 6 years ago.

Hello Kathy.

I have never in my almost 30 years of service heard of a left hand threaded thermocouple. I would call the manufacturer of the water heater and have them rush one to you. I am assuming that you have called every plumbing supply house in the area if you haven't then I would. And finally if you can't find one then call a plumber and have a new water heater installed. It will cost you to get it installed on a priority bases but it sounds like it's going to be a toss up between paying the operators and closing or paying the plumber.

I hope this answer helps you in making a decision regarding the repair of your appliance.

It is our effort to get you the most complete and accurate answer possible. If you agree that the information supplied was helpful and speaks to the point of your question then please click on the "GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON" as this is the only way that we get paid for your time and effort spent researching and answering you question. By clicking the "GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON" you don't end your session with me. You may feel free to post back to regarding this question until you feel I have completely answered your question.

If you feel that you have some positive feedback you would like to share it please feel free to do so.

Thank you for your consideration,

Jack Stiner

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My local emergency plumber told me that Lowes carries a conversion package that includes the burner and thermopcouple to change a left handed one to a right handed one. This plumber said he just changed one last week. He said the left handed ones were recalled a couple of years ago but they were somewhat common before that. Thanks anyway

Hello Kathy,

So calling the plumber seems to have gotten you a solution to your problem. I am so glad that at least some of my answer was helpful to you. On the bright side you won't have to close down and pay all the operators for nothing. I am always happy when something gets resolved. It also looks like a couple of my colleagues agree with my answer to you so that should make you feel somewhat satisfied with the outcome. We hope that you were satisfied with your experience here at Just Answer. If you do feel that your issue was resolved and the outcome positive then I invite you to click on the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON. This will allow me to get paid for the time spent on your answer and will acknowledge the I have made a positive contribution answering your question.

Thank you for your consideration,

Jack Stiner