UAFITTER693, Plumber
Experience:  25 Year Experianced Master Licenesed Plumber in Service and Residential

My toilet keep running approximately every 5 minutes. Cant

My toilet keep running approximately every 5 minutes. Can't seem to find a problem with the working parts. My dad suggested there may be air in the system. How is this resolved?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  UAFITTER693 replied 8 years ago.
Customer Its your flapper leaking by or the ballcock water level is to high and running over the top of the fill tube and this can be caused either by the high water level or that the ballcock itself is not shutting off when the water level reaches the proper height. Sometimes you can get a piece of dirt or debris under the diagphram of the ballcock which can be dissasembled and cleaned.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The inside of the tank has been thoroughly inspected. Some parts replaced, everything including the your suggestions have already been checked. Water level is fine and at recommended level... All appears to be in order. What else could possibly cause is to run briefly every few minutes aside from air in the system?
Customer Air in the system would not make the toilet run periodicly, the only 2 possible answers are either the flapper is weeping by causing the water level to drop or that the ballcock is not set correctly or defective. Sometimes when the flapper is replaced it does not seat well or the incorrect flapper, they are not all universal. I have over 25 years in the service and residential trade and these are the only causes I have ever seen.