The Home Smithy, Tradesman
Experience:  Tradesman

get the grease thats currently in the pipes flushed out

Customer Question

i just paid to have a main sewer stoppage cleared, upon completion the plumber (roto rotor) adviced us that there was alot of grease in or pipes and offered to sell us some preventive whatever that they sell.but if the problem is there i figured we dont need a preventive solution but something to get the grease thats already in there flushed question is was i right and what would help us get the grease thats currently in the pipes flushed out
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 8 years ago.

The question is did he clear out a grease build up that was plugging your line? If he did then the best solution is not a treatment but a change in what you put down your drains.

The main problem with grease buildup in drain pipes is that there is very little that you can actually do about it. There is nothing on the public market that will touch grease build up. There are commercial products that will burn through grease but they are highly toxic, as well as caustic. I do not recommend that you try and use them as they are extremely dangerous to use and can ruin drain pipes if used incorrectly.

The best overall solution is to first make sure that any type of grease is not poured in the drains or washed out in the dishwasher. mostly things like frying pans, woks, and deep fryer components are the guilty items when it comes to grease getting into your lines. If you must wash these things wipe them out with a paper towel first. That will stop the grease from building up any more than it already is. After that you will just have to wait till a line plugs up and then have it cleaned out. If you like there are services that will come into your home and run a camera down your pipes and record a video of what your pipes condition really is. You can then plan the cleaning of them accordingly. Or just wait it out and see what happens. This is dependent upon your personal budget,

The boroscope service will run you $300.00 to $600.00 to have done depending on how many pipes you have.

If this answer satisfies your question please click the accept button. I will not be paid if you don't.

You can always ask follow up questions after you accept. I will be here to answer them.

If for some reason you are not happy. Please tell me before you accept.

Feedback is how we make sure we provide the best answers available. A simple "good job" is all it takes. Please help us to keep our answers the best available by leaving feedback after your question has been answered.

Best regards; The Home Smithy