repipeslo
repipeslo, Plumber
Experience:  10+ years experiance in the pipe industries.
9985190

We recently had a reverse osmosis system installed. After ...

Customer Question

We recently had a reverse osmosis system installed. After a couple of weeks, I could not longer hear the system refilling and when the faucet handle was opened all the way (maximum flow) water runs from the vent behind the faucet. What can I do to troubleshoot this problem?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  repipeslo replied 6 years ago.
Answered via Just Answer Chat.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to repipeslo's Post: I had to get offline for a few minutes but would like to have an answer to my question, if possible?
Expert:  repipeslo replied 6 years ago.

Hello yes it showed you logged off thought you were gone. Sorry about that.

You say you hear the water flowing in the vent..take it you are talking about the vent in the kitchen?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to repipeslo's Post: No, What I heard (for a couple of weeks only) was a gurgling sound that I couldn't tell where it was coming from, possibly the vent. The vent is a hole behind the faucet connect to the osmosis holding tank.
Expert:  repipeslo replied 6 years ago.
are you able to upload a picture so i know exactly the vent your talking about?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to repipeslo's Post: No, I am not. Imagine the faucet that delivers the water. At the base, behind, is a hole. I call this the vent.
Expert:  repipeslo replied 6 years ago.
the hole your calling the vent is that were the ro system is sypost to drain into?
Expert:  repipeslo replied 6 years ago.

graphic

Looks like this correct?

Is were that black line ties into underneath the sink were you see the hole?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, based on your diagram it would be the blue line connection.
Expert:  repipeslo replied 6 years ago.

I think I understand what your saying...

In this picture the blue tube is the water you drink coming out of the system so that can't be a vent.

Now does you sink have a dishwasher vent also on the top on the left hand side looks like a round long cap that you hear gurgling from?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No it doesn't. My diswhasher doesn't have a vent system that is visible to me.
Expert:  repipeslo replied 6 years ago.

Hard to try and figure out the problem. Do you notice the gurgulling all the time or certain times?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The only time I heard gurgling was when the system was first installed. At the same time the gurgling sound stopped, is when the water would overflow out of the hole behind the faucet, and only when the water was turned fully on.
Expert:  repipeslo replied 6 years ago.

graphic

Say that was the kitchen sink instead of a bathroom sink. Is this the hole in the wall that is a vent/drain that you hear the noise from?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The RO is in the kitchen. There is no hole in the wall. The faucet that came with the RO system, similar to what comes with any filtering system, has a hole at the base of the removable faucet. If I didn't have a filter system, there would be no vent.
Expert:  repipeslo replied 6 years ago.

I apologize if you feel like were not getting anywhere. It just really hard to trouble shoot this. It likes trying to figure out a problem with a blindfold.

Please bare with me.

Expert:  repipeslo replied 6 years ago.
Chance you know the brand of the system so I can look up the system?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is a Watt's Premier Model #WP-4V
Expert:  repipeslo replied 6 years ago.

Awsome. Give me a minute to look up the system.

Expert:  repipeslo replied 6 years ago.
Do you have the zero waste option installed as well. Were no water goes to waste?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I can't answer that question.
Expert:  repipeslo replied 6 years ago.
Ok Im on the watts website looking for the manual now.
Expert:  repipeslo replied 6 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your effort. But this is not what the problem is. I am thinking that the filtering system is not working and what I am getting is water from the main source.

Thanks
Expert:  repipeslo replied 6 years ago.

That is what watts is showing for when you get the gurgling your talking about it is cause by the waste line from the system I was trying to point to earlier. Theres a couple of things that can cause the water to constantly run through there and make you hear the noise.

If it is gurgling you may have a premature backup in the line and the water is not draining properly.

Or if you hear like the water trickling into a puddle or watter running it is because the system may have to low pressure or because the system was brand new or you changed the filter it will blow all air/water out says it last a while but should stop and not require unless you change the filter again.

Expert:  repipeslo replied 6 years ago.

You cant get water through the main source with out it having to go through the entire filtration process.

Expert:  repipeslo replied 6 years ago.
What makes you beleive the water is not being filtered?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The tank is too light, meaning there is no water in it. I have a maintenace person here doing work for me. I just asked how to explain this to you. He said that where the water is coming from is from where the set screw is (not a vent system as I thought.) He just confirmed that my tank is empty.
Expert:  repipeslo replied 6 years ago.
ok have him check the preassure on the tank first should be set between 5-7psi and that set screw is like a min angle stop make sure it is open. (counter clock wise) to open.
Expert:  repipeslo replied 6 years ago.
If he can also check the house preassure if the pressure in the house is lower than 40psi the bladder will not do its job and will not stay filled/pressurized.
repipeslo, Plumber
Experience: 10+ years experiance in the pipe industries.
Expert:  repipeslo replied 6 years ago.

now remember that tank is syspot to be free of water all it holds is air pressure. 5-7 psi check it with a tire gage.

Please remember to leave feedback lets us know and future customers how well we do our job :)

Expert:  repipeslo replied 6 years ago.
A faulty check valve can also cause a small amount of water in the tank. To check this, do not use any water from the RO unit for 24 hours, then check the water flow to the drain in the morning before any water flows through the house. I