druzair, Doctor
Experience:  I am a Plastic, reconstructive and burns surgeon, I also perform hair transplant surgery and various cosmetic surgery procedures.

My whole life my right eyebrow has been a lot higher than my

My whole life my right eyebrow has been a lot higher than my left. My grandmother had the same problem, and by the time she was old, it was way way higher than than the other one. I compensate by waxing from the top down to make it look lower. But it's really uneven. I am wondering if botox can lower it (if it's a muscle or something that is keeping it raised), or if there is a surgery to fix it. It does always feel 'tighter' on the raised side. I'm able to frown and make it go down, but 99% of the time it's just automatically up. I would appreciate any explanation as to the cause of this, and possible treatment. I've attached a photo. Thank you

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Uzair.
I am reviewing your post and will get back to your reply momentarily.

Please attach your photo here.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I attached the photo in the initial question, but I just added it again so hopefully it comes through. Thank you :-)

Thank you for the picture.

Yes, it is possible to make them symmetrical. Both Botox and surgical correction can be used for correction. Botox offers a temporary relief, and has to be repeated every 5 to 6 months. Whereas, surgery will offer a more permanent resolution.

Botox is injected in the lid that is retracted up because of the frontalis muscle tightness and this will bring the eye brow down. Surgical correction is done as a unilateral brow lift procedure under local anesthesia and sedation, where in the brow that is lower is brought up by passing a thread from the brow to the crown of the head subcutaneously.

The best person to consult about this will be a Board certified Plastic Surgeon.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you. I think I will do botox.
1. Where would it be injected exactly? And in general, how many needle injections?
2. Would it be gradual, or would it simply drop the same day I get the botox injection?
3. Is there any risk of it going higher with botox? Or any risk of botox making it appear worse in any way?
4. Lastly - So in layman's terms, my high eyebrow is just a muscle that is too tight? And it will just tighten even more with time because it is being exercised so that is why it's worse now than when I was much younger?
Thank you again for your help and advice!

1) The botox will be injected subcutaneously over the raised eye brow and in the frontalis muscle. Every surgeon has his/her own way of doing it, I do it with what I call a three point technique going from brow to the hair line in three points making a total of 6 to 9 points. So, in my patients about 6 to 9 needle pricks with a fine gauge needle, injecting about 2 IUs of botox per point.

2) Botox takes about 5 days for a complete effect.

3) No risk of it going higher with Botox. Botox can have unpredictable results in inexperienced hands, so choose your Surgeon wisely.

4) Yes, the muscle is tight, whether or not it will go higher or lower with time is not certain, there are a lot of factors in play here, age, tissue laxity, skin elasticity, muscle spasm/ tightness. So, one can't say how this will evolve over time.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you so much! I am going to find a board certified plastic surgeon who does botox and get it done. Thanks again :-)

My pleasure to help.

Do remember to rate the answer.

Take care.