Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution

I was referred by my derm to a dermatological surgeon

Customer Question

I was referred by my derm to a dermatological surgeon for a consult re: a small raised bump on my cheek (6x7 mm.) It was a firm nodule and neither sore to the touch or red; however, there was a area beneath my eye that was noticeably red. The surgeon stated there were one or two small cysts in that area as well, but as they were neither raised to the surface or presenting any problem, they would be left alone and removed at a later time. He diagnosed the cheek nodule as a cyst and excision was scheduled for the next business day. I was assured that the incision would be very small and the mattress stitch would heal quickly.
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: Five weeks have passed since the one-hour "surgery" to excise the small nodule on my cheek. A 2.5 cm mattress stitch scar extends from the incision site on my cheek to the area beneath my eye where a swollen pocket of fluid remains. I have been back to the office on several occasions and the surgeon states that the nodule on my cheek had previously ruptured necessitating additional cutting. He also stated that he removed one of the two cysts under my eye; thus, the large pocket of swelling. My face is now very noticeably asymmetrical and the practice owner has advised me that laser treatments and filler injections will eventually remedy the problem. The under-eye pocket of fluid could take months to subside.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Yes. after many years of thoughtful consideration, I had my first facial cosmetic surgery with fat grafting performed 7 months earlier. The results were amazing. The derm surgeon was alerted to this in my pre-admission packet.
Category: Plastic Surgery
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for this question

Do you have any pictures?