Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon (MD)
Experience:  30 years experience; Board Certified in Plastic Surgery; Member American College of Surgeons;

I have a injury on my right calf and thigh from a pitbull

Customer Question

I have a injury on my right calf and thigh from a pitbull attack that left discoloration and scarring. I am looking to get it removed or at least look more normal as it is embarrassing to wear shorts. The surface area is numb and there is scar tissue underneath that is pretty thick and about 1 1/2 inchs long. The discolored area is approximately 3-4 in in diameter.
There is a nickle sized area on the lateral thigh that is scarred and is itchy and a superficial vein has popped up around it which occasionally becomes itchy and inflammed as well.
The injury occurred in january 2015. Is it too early to get this fixed? Is this something insurance usually covers? If not, how expensive can it be paying out of pocket to remove these scars if it is limited to the subcutaneous tissue and does not involve any muscles or tendons.?
Category: Plastic Surgery
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Was there tissue loss?

How old are you ?

Can you upload a picture?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Here is my calf

Thank you for the pictures.

That scar can be removed. I would suggest consulting with a plastic surgeon to give you the best chance of having a good cosmetic result.

It may, however, remain itchy even after the surgery.

It is very difficult to guess what it would cost without doing an exam but I bet self pay cost would be in the $1,000 to $1,500 range.

Insurance usually doesn't pay for this sort of thing but maybe the dogs owner has some liability would have to contact a lawyer to go down that path.

make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Expert:  Plastic Surgeon replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a board certified plastic surgeon and the scar CANNOT be removed. A scar revision may improve the scar but it cannot remove a scar. In fact, scar revisions are sometimes worse than the original. There are no guarantees with scar revision. You should have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who can answer all of your questions. I am available if you have more questions.
In addition, there are treatments other than a scar revision that may help your scar. Silicone sheeting applied to the scar may help improve the scar. Mederma, which is over the counter, may also help. Scar revision of the leg may not improve the scar due to the type of skin of the legs and the decreased blood supply when compared to the facial, which has the highest chance of scar improvement following scar revision. Usually scar revision of a leg scar is the last option in improving a leg scar.