Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon (MD)
Experience:  30 years experience; Board Certified in Plastic Surgery; Member American College of Surgeons;

I had a no.I face lift 3-4 years ago and have since been

Customer Question

I had a no.I face lift 3-4 years ago and have since been using dermal filler for up keep. About 6weeks ago I had my dermal fillers injected a few days later I was stung in the face and head about a dozen times mostly to the face . I am algeric and my face swelled almost 3 times it's size. I used ice packs for swelling and recieved servers frost bite burns to my entire face . It has been 6 or 7 week and I am still healing. My insurance said they would pay 100percent as long as the Dr said it was medically necessary. I have spent a lot of my to make my face perfectand wriinkle free. How should I get my Dr to say it is medically need so my insurance covers it. The burns are deep and as the swelling reduces deep wrinkles are appearing. I can not afford the repairs on my own. My face was a smooth as a baby's butt. But now has large bumps from the fillers not having time to spread and deep burns How do I convince him to medically approve it as Need to restore to pre wasp stings and burns. Please advise ASAP. I hav
I am desperate for help.appointment tomorrow.
Category: Plastic Surgery
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 5 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

As you have probably figured out already you can not "make" your doctor say anything was medically necessary. You can, however, explain to him what happened just you, just as you have done here for me, and then ask him if he would be willing to certify that your ice packs were medically indicated so as to assist you with your insurance claim -- even though you didn't ask him for his advice on what to do for your wasp sting and allergic reaction at the time. Of course if the use of ice packs was not medically indicated he could be accused of insurance fraud, lose his license to practice medicine and possibly go to jail....

One thing that I find puzzling: How could you have possibly caused deep, severe frost bite burns from the correct use of ice packs? You should be ready to answer this question for your doctor during tomorrows office visit, and also if the insurance company wants to know.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Expert:  Plastic Surgeon replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. Who treated you for the multiple bites to the face? You should have seen a doctor for treatment at that time. It would be much easier to claim medical necessity if you had done that. Now you want your doctor to say that your treatment is medically necessary. Your doctor may do that but it is still no guarantee that your insurance will agree. This is not a simple process. Your insurance company will probably send you to an independent physician who will agree or disagree with medical necessity for treatment. I am available if you have more questions.