Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon (MD)
Experience:  30 years experience; Board Certified in Plastic Surgery; Member American College of Surgeons;

I have a hard lump on outer edge of zygomatic bone. Is

Customer Question

Hi, I have a hard lump on outer edge of zygomatic bone. Is swollen. Then a week later developed hard nodule about 1/2 inch down from inner corner of eye in tear trough area. Had ultrasound and a ct scan but only showed non-specific swelling. Then I noticed hard ridges going down my face starting about where the nodule was in lower tear trough area and angling out to mid cheek on both sides. No pain, no other symptoms. My Dr wants to refer me to plastic surgeon because has no idea what it is. Had botox about 1 month prior to symptoms and voluma in cheeks 4 months prior and nothing in tear troughs so I don't know if it's related or not. Can you help?
Category: Plastic Surgery
Expert:  Plastic Surgeon replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. Is it possible for you to send a picture? That would help in my evaluation. The injections that you had may be related to your nodules.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can send a picture but the ridges or cord like lines aren't visible, only outer bump is. Would a picture of a diagram work better where I could draw exactly where everything is?
I understand the anatomical position of the areas you are describing but a picture would be very beneficial.
The injection of juvederm voluma can migrate and cause the nodules that you have.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Even 4 months after it was done? How can it migrate from cheek area to tear trough area and down the face? What can be done about it and how can I tell if it was the voluma? The hard lump is above cheek area. Where the cords are going down from inner eye and angling outward is also causing a little swelling above nasal folds but hard to tell from picture unless you know what it normally looks like. Still need a picture? Hard to tell/see in picture.
Usually juvederm voluma is absorbed sooner but sometimes it can persist. There really is nothing to do for it except wait. A picture is not needed if it doesn't show anything. You need to be examined by an experienced board certified plastic surgeon .