Dr. Herb Goldberg
Dr. Herb Goldberg, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Experience:  35 years experience in cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery. Certified by the American Board
50734646

Liposuction I am 39 yes old, 5 ft tall healthy woman,

Customer Question

LiposuctionHi, I am 39 yes old, 5 ft tall healthy woman, considering getting liposuction in Bulgaria but am nervous due to the inherent risks of the surgery. I am overweight by perhaps 5 KG, most of which is stubborn belly fat.How major is this surgery?
How long is the surgery?
How long is the recuperation period?
Any other things I should consider before going ahead?Thank you.
Category: Plastic Surgery
Expert:  Plastic Surgeon replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your question. What area of the body are you interested in having liposuction? I assume that it sounds like you are interested in having liposuction of the abdomen. A person who is an excellent candidate for abdominal liposuction does not have a lot of excess skin. If the abdominal skin is loose, then liposuction is not the best procedure. Liposuction will cause more loose skin. So, please tell me what area of the body that you are considering liposuction and I will respond with more specific answers.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
abdominal area.

Your abdominal skin must taut or you will have loose skin after liposuction. If your skin is not taut, you may require an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) which involves excising the excess skin and fatty tissue, tightening the abdominal muscles and possibly liposuction also. This is performed through a low horizontal incision and requires 4 weeks of limited activity after surgery. If your skin is taut, you may only require liposuction. This procedure can be performed as an outpatient and does require a few weeks of limited activity. If one is too active after surgery, this can lead to more swelling and delayed healing. Cost of abdominal liposuction in the U.S., including the outpatient fee, is in the $4,000 to $6,000 range. This is an excellent procedure in the properly selected patient. I am available if you have more questions.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi, what do you think about cryolipolysis such as cool sculpting? Does it work, is it worth pursuing?
Expert:  Plastic Surgeon replied 8 months ago.

Cool sculpting is really a no surgical procedure usually performed by dermatologists and not plastic surgeons. The results have been mixed - some good and some bad. Regular liposuction removes the fat cells whereas cool sculpting descriptions say it "kills or melts fat cells". My question is what then happens to the questionable destroyed fat cells. Do they magically disappear? Contouring and results with regular liposuction are much better in the properly qualified plastic surgeon.