druzair
druzair, Doctor
Experience:  I am a Plastic, reconstructive and burns surgeon, I also perform hair transplant surgery and various cosmetic surgery procedures.
27273415

I am considering liposuction to remove a small fat deposit

Customer Question

I am considering liposuction to remove a small fat deposit bulg, a little above and a little more below my waistline.
I only want to lose one waist size; my expectations are reasonable.
I'm a 69 year old male, in good health.
But, I feel my inelastic skin would render lipo only unsuccessful. So, I thought I might need
a little tuck to tighten the loose skin. Would the later procedure be mini tummy tuck, which kinda, scares me?
Also, am I too old, too foolish for all of this treatment?
What say you?
Category: Plastic Surgery
Expert:  druzair replied 9 months ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

Well, a mini tummy tuck is no more dangerous than a liposuction.

You are right about the skin's elasticity playing a huge role in the final outcome of the liposuction so, the redundant skin has to be taken out. This is only a subcutaneous excision of skin and nothing too major. Otherwise, the redundant shriveled skin looks worse than it was before the liposuction. If you are getting the liposuction done under local anesthesia, the procedure can be combined with a skin/subcutaneous fat excision and if you are already planning regional or general anesthesia, then you should definitely have the liposuction combined with the mini tummy tuck. It makes more sense to have more done when getting general or spinal anesthesia for liposuction.

You are never too old or foolish for this kind of a procedure, these are pure cosmetic procedures and are not age bound, anyone can wish to have them done.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Best.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
mini tummy tuck is not for me. Thus, you would, of course without seeing me,
recommend lipo and skin excision of resultant loose skin?
On scale, 1-10, 10= least risk, my proposed procedure is?
Thanks.
Bruce
Expert:  druzair replied 9 months ago.

Risk assessment is a very complicated procedure. Since, I have not examined you, let me talk statistically.

I do about 10 liposuction combined with tummy tucks in a month, and 1 of them can suffer a complication like a stitch sinus or localized cellulitis. Rarely, have I seen any necrosis in such a procedure, never in any of my cases. So, its a rare event.

You're number would according to my statistics be 9.

Hope this helps.

Best.