Dr. Herb Goldberg
Dr. Herb Goldberg, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Experience:  35 years experience in cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery. Certified by the American Board
50734646

I'm not sure if this is the right category, but I

Customer Question

I'm not sure if this is the right category, but I didn't see a category that applied. My question is regarding a deviated septum. For many years my right nostril has been blocked 90% of the time, and I am not able to breath out of it. For the past 6-8 months, I have been using Afrin so that I can breath at night (because I have sleep apnea and need to be able to breath through my nose). How do I know for sure that I have a deviated septum (can I tell visually?) I can feel inside my nose that the middle part leans to the right and I can feel almost a bump where it's pushed over on the right where I can't breath on that side. My first question is - how do I get off of Afrin? Secondly, how painful and complicated is a deviated septum surgery. And what kind of doctor do I call to have it done? Thanks so much! Amy
Category: Plastic Surgery
Expert:  Plastic Surgeon replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Sorry about your breathing problems. A deviated septum is an easy diagnosis to make. If there is less of an opening in one airway versus the other, this usually represents a deviated septum. You should see either a board certified plastic surgeon or a board certified otorhinolaryngologist(ENT) for an exam and diagnosis. The best way to stop afrin is to taper it using less each day. Septal surgery can be performed as an outpatient under local or general anesthesia. You need a few weeks to recover. I am available if you have more questions.