Dr. Herb Goldberg
Dr. Herb Goldberg, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Experience:  35 years experience in cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery. Certified by the American Board
50734646

I had a bilateral otoplasty almost 5 months ago, and the

Customer Question

Customer: Hello, i had a bilateral otoplasty almost 5 months ago, and the doctor said he used dissolvable sutures. In the past week there was a ball of skin(yellowish) attached to a suture that i mistakenly picked at thinking it was dead skin. The ball came loose and exposed some skin. I asked the doctor about it and he said that I should cut the ball and apply bacitracin, but becuase I am in college, i don't have the resources to do so. I think it may have been infected so the doctor ordered in some antibiotics and I am applying bacitracin. do you know why this happened? Can I upload a picture?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It is in a pain right now, and I am concerned that it my affect the results of my otoplasty.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Plastic Surgery Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: How long?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Plastic Surgery
Expert:  Plastic Surgeon replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. It would help if you could send a picture of that area of the ear. Is there an opening in the scar area? Hopefully at 5 months after otoplasty, the area has healed well enough. That is why a picture of the area would be very helpful. In addition, your surgeon needs to see you so that he can examine that area and see what the best treatment is. I am available if you have more questions.